$150 to spend on accessories...

So I got a little holiday bonus from one of my employers in the form of a $150 Amazon gift card. I want to spend it on various small accessories for making music videos (so no audio equipment required). Here's what I'm planning on getting:

Opteka X-Grip - $20
DSLR Rain Coat (we're going to be doing some outdoor/wintertime shoots) - $20
Opteka X-Board Table Dolly - $30
AmazonBasics DSLR Backpack - $30
Ravelli ATD Tripod Dolly - $38

The last $12 is accounted for with something else that will come in handy as a female working on remote sets with no bathroom facilities (not adult diapers, fyi).

I realize the quality on any of these things is not great, but they've all got decent reviews and seem to be good values. Unfortunately I don't have any extra cash to spend on things at the moment, and I have a number of shoots coming up in the next few months. I like to have options when it comes to camera support, and these things seem like they'd fit in well with the types of shots I want to get. But if anyone has other suggestions for what I might want to look into, I'm all ears!

Have you enough camera/field monitor batteries for field shooting?

I have 8x for my Canon 6D and SmallHD AC7 combo. 2x Canon (expensive) and 6x Watson (much cheaper and so far just as good).

For my Tascam audio recorder and VideoMic Pro, I invested in rechargeable batteries and a charger. Better for the environment and more cost effective for me.

Cables - are the ones you have long enough for most field use etc?

Cards - have you enough or will you be bringing a laptop into the field with you?

Last edited:
Have you enough camera/field monitor batteries for field shooting?

I have 8x for my Canon 6D and SmallHD AC7 combo. 2x Canon (expensive) and 6x Watson (much cheaper and so far just as good).

For my Tascam audio recorder and VideoMic Pro, I invested in rechargeable batteries and a charger. Better for the environment and more cost effective for me.

Cables - are the ones you have long enough for most field use etc?

Cards - have you enough or will you be bringing a laptop into the field with you?

Those are all great suggestions, but I think I'm covered already.

I've got six or seven batteries for my camera, so I'm set on those (last all-day shoot I did, I only ended up using 2). No field audio recorder, since I'm just doing music videos at the moment and suck at audio anyway (and will hire someone with their own audio equipment if/when it's necessary).

No cables, as everything is onboard with my GH1.

I have four 16GB SD cards for my GH1, which gives me about 6-8 hours of recording time. Plenty for my needs so far.

my friend has this great little suction cup thing that he can mount a camera to the inside of a car window. he said it was about $100 and i want one! also mounts it on the outside for some shots too, but doesn't use his nicest camera for that just in case

The X-Grip you picked out is made of plastic and very light. You would be better saving up another 40 and going with the X-Grip MK3. Metal, heavy and very steady to hold. I have two.

http://opteka.com/xgripexmkiii.aspx

IMO.

my friend has this great little suction cup thing that he can mount a camera to the inside of a car window. he said it was about $100 and i want one! also mounts it on the outside for some shots too, but doesn't use his nicest camera for that just in case

I bought one of these for $21 (inc shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...ft-HD170-HD-/190814758437?hash=item2c6d722625

It works.

I already have a car mount for my GoPro, and like him, wouldn't use my good camera for those kinds of shots. :D

Back