actors Who is that one actor that never fails to amaze you ?

I'll disregard the "one" and the "always" part. I'm not a fan of absolutes, anyway.

Once upon a time I would have included Tom Hanks. But he's made my Wanker List. (That's a sneaky way of including him, while vaguely disapproving of him personally.)

I think you gotta include Meryl Streep. Any list of actors who always amaze that does not include her is simply full of it…or evil. Yes, it's simply evil not to include Meryl Streep. That's it.

Ian Holm. One of the great character actors. He was in so many films. And he always enriched the films he was in, not to mention our lives—no exaggeration. Yes, it dates me. You poor pups are the worse off without him, and likely wouldn't realize it.

Matthew McConaughey. Yeah. I know. He's one of those actors who, maybe, sort-of plays himself in each role. No, that's not really fair; he brings himself to each role. How can he not? Always interesting. I just re-watched Interstellar; he brought it. He's not a failed Marlon Brando. His body of work is pretty much far greater than Brando's.

Woody Harrelson. Always glad to see him in a film. Not sure what it is; but he brings it.

(So yeah, you should probably check out True Detective—season 1, if you haven't.)

Willem Dafoe. Yeah duh.

***Edit:

Lord, I struggled to recall more female actors—to be gender inclusive and to not be a bad person. One finally occured to me!

Emily Blunt. She can do no wrong in my eyes. I am in love with Emily Blunt, at least in the hot, fantasy Hollywood actor kind of way. But truly, she is the real deal. She has it all, and deserves movie star status. Looks, charisma, gravitas. See Sicario (2015 film); I rest my case. It's a very good movie. She plays a strong, complicated, interesting woman who cannot kick the ass of two-hundred and fifty pound men; yet, there is no doubt she is a strong woman. Anyway, she captivates and amazes me.

Last edited:
I just watched wait for me on amazon and karen hassan is one actress that never fails to amaze me I just think she can adapt to whatever role she is given, you can watch it here for anyone who wants to give the film a watch I would deffo recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wait-Me-Karen-Hassan/dp/B0C6X7TF52/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36VVER63HER1P

I promote my own projects (and the actors in them) as much as anyone on this board. But if this is your project (yes?) please be up front about that.

And on a practical note, you included an Amazon link that's only usable for members/readers in the UK. You'd do better to use something available to all (IMDb or the web site), then tell us where we can stream it.

I promote my own projects (and the actors in them) as much as anyone on this board. But if this is your project (yes?) please be up front about that.

And on a practical note, you included an Amazon link that's only usable for members/readers in the UK. You'd do better to use something available to all (IMDb or the web site), then tell us where we can stream it.
Hi, sorry I did not realise here is the link to the website https://www.waitforme-film.com/ There is a where to see it page. I worked with old hall films who made the film that's why I am eager to promote the film!:)

The first person that comes to mind, for me, although I haven't liked every movie he's been in, is Michael Shannon. He delivers with every role. He never seems to phone it in nor does he ever over act.

Attachments

• image-w856.jpg
    image-w856.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 54
Paul Giamatti always delivers. When I first saw him in "Private Parts", I knew this cat is gonna deliver in every movie he's in regardless, like Gene Hackman; great in bad movies.

Attachments

• paul g.jpg
    paul g.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 43
I'll disregard the "one" and the "always" part. I'm not a fan of absolutes, anyway.

Once upon a time I would have included Tom Hanks. But he's made my Wanker List. (That's a sneaky way of including him, while vaguely disapproving of him personally.)

I think you gotta include Meryl Streep. Any list of actors who always amaze that does not include her is simply full of it…or evil. Yes, it's simply evil not to include Meryl Streep. That's it.

Ian Holm. One of the great character actors. He was in so many films. And he always enriched the films he was in, not to mention our lives—no exaggeration. Yes, it dates me. You poor pups are the worse off without him, and likely wouldn't realize it.

Matthew McConaughey. Yeah. I know. He's one of those actors who, maybe, sort-of plays himself in each role. No, that's not really fair; he brings himself to each role. How can he not? Always interesting. I just re-watched Interstellar; he brought it. He's not a failed Marlon Brando. His body of work is pretty much far greater than Brando's.

Woody Harrelson. Always glad to see him in a film. Not sure what it is; but he brings it.

(So yeah, you should probably check out True Detective—season 1, if you haven't.)

Willem Dafoe. Yeah duh.

***Edit:

Lord, I struggled to recall more female actors—to be gender inclusive and to not be a bad person. One finally occured to me!

Emily Blunt. She can do no wrong in my eyes. I am in love with Emily Blunt, at least in the hot, fantasy Hollywood actor kind of way. But truly, she is the real deal. She has it all, and deserves movie star status. Looks, charisma, gravitas. See Sicario (2015 film); I rest my case. It's a very good movie. She plays a strong, complicated, interesting woman who cannot kick the ass of two-hundred and fifty pound men; yet, there is no doubt she is a strong woman. Anyway, she captivates and amazes me.
Great list! I can't think of Streep ever phoning it in. Her and Tucci in Prada, wow! That's a sequel I'd like to see.

The first person that comes to mind, for me, although I haven't liked every movie he's been in, is Michael Shannon. He delivers with every role. He never seems to phone it in nor does he ever over act.
He's so underrated it isn't even funny. I met him at the premiere of "Shotgun Stories. He was such a humble dude who kept pushing credit on to the director Jeff Nichols. Very cool dude.

Back