• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Professional Reviews - Different Loglines

I finished a script a few months back and paid for a few of those coverage/evaluation/professional review/etc services that give you specific critique on dialogue, setting, plot, the works. They all provide a logline with their review.

Here's my dilemma... each logline from each new person takes a different direction. They are all reading the same script but come up with completely different views of how the logline should be. Some portray the MC and his love for a girl as the main point, while some portray the MC and his issue with his father as the main point. And then they each give a different conflict for the MC.

And all of them are completely different than my original logline. :lol:

I understand I can just combine whatever works best, but now I'm confused with all the vast variation what actually would work best. If each of these professionals are seeing such a different perspective of the script, how do I know what best works when then marketing it?

Thoughts? Thanks!

If no one can agree on a log line maybe there's a problem with the script.

I played around with that idea, but when I read their detailed feedback in the areas of plot, concept and things such as their "opening thoughts" the feedback is all on a common thread. Then when it comes to that magical one sentence logline, their opinions vary. Some put the MC and the girl he falls in love with in the logline, while some leave her completely out of it.

The logline is a compelling statement about the general premise. This should be obvious since you are the writer. Pick that one.

Back