How to hire a Director?

Hi,

In school for Film and TV Production. working on the Pitch package for my Short Film.

I want to get the right director who can bring the script to life but I don't know how to choose one properly?

What is the process? I know they will show me their demo reel but is there more that I can ask?

Example: can I ask them to do a Story Board of the script?

This may be completely out there in the real world but I don't know yet how to judge a Director's value. Especially ones that are just starting out and looking for projects to challenge them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

So you are in film school. Cool!

What will be your role? Are you the producer, or did you write this?

Why do you not want to direct your own short film? (assuming you wrote it).

So you are in film school. Cool!

What will be your role? Are you the producer, or did you write this?

Why do you not want to direct your own short film? (assuming you wrote it).

I am the Writer/Producer.

I've tried Directing but I still don't have the confidence in taking it on as a role.

I wrote the short film.

It would be possible for to Direct it... again it's my own confidence.

I see the complete short film in my head.

So yeah, that's where I am at.

Do it yourself. I'm not saying that sarcastically or in a smart-ass way. That's my honest advice. Get that confidence you haven't found yet.

The first thing you should do on day #1 of production: start barking orders, loudly. And have fun!

EDIT: Or, if you've got some money to throw at me, you can just hire me. :)

Since you're in school the obvious answer is another student. How to find is simply talk to people. The other answer is direct it yourself and get that first one out of the way. ;)

Is there someone in your program who is concentrating on directing and whose work you respect?
If so, that might be a good person to ask.

If not, ask other filmmakers for recommendations. And ask potential directors for references so that you can speak with others who have hired him or her.

Good luck! I'm a writer/producer myself so I have gone through this.

If you hire an outside director it is no longer a student film. Is this even allowed by professors? Not sure if that was what you were asking.

If this is in the UK, just DM me, let me know what you have and I can hook you up with a director if you have a budget. It's not a bad idea to hire a director first time up so you can see how directing works up close and personal with a professional.

I know, for example, an ex-Eastenders and current feature film director who is a gun for hire and will direct shorts. He'd be a great guy to learn from but you'd need money to attract him. It'd be a good learning experience for you.

If you're not in the UK, well, good luck!

Hi,

pretty much all Cast and Crew will be in-house. our school also has an Acting, Fashion, writing and Graphics/Gaming programs. I will have access to all students from these programs to help with the majority of the work needed.

I guess I just want to know how to choose a Director. What is the standard process for selecting one?

also, you all have been helping tip the scales into my doing it myself... thanks for the support.

Hahahaha. That's a good one. I'm working on it. Unfortunately, this website isn't super user-friendly. I'd really like some instructions on how to delete my email from this website.

Last edited:
I can make your account inactive if you wish.

Please do, and thank you. You've been a guiding force for me, for many years. But I am not good at interneting. I'm good at poining my camera at people. I'm really bad at talking to people on the internet.

Thank you, to the entire IT community. You've been good to me but I need to walk away. Please deactivate my account.

I noticed you let your Guerrilla With A Camera domain expire, I was following the project and not sure why you dropped it, or what is going on with you, but best of luck, and hope you can get back at it. :cheers:

I am the Writer/Producer.

I've tried Directing but I still don't have the confidence in taking it on as a role.

I wrote the short film.

It would be possible for to Direct it... again it's my own confidence.

I see the complete short film in my head.

So yeah, that's where I am at.

I went to film school more precise : art school with an AV department).
We didn't have to search a director: we were put in groups and we would shift roles every production.

But I can tell you this:
do you remember the first time you walked?
Did you do this after you were confident you could or did you succeed, because you tried for months?

What I'm trying to say is that you will never get confidence if you never practise.
So to find out how you do as a director is by doing.

You say you have the whole short in your head.
Having things in your head is having nothing solid: it is an often used excuse by students who didn't do their homework.
"Did you bring your script?"
"It is all in my head, sir."
"In that case it doesn't really exist. Next week I expect a finished script and then we will discuss it." :-p

Whether you or someone else is going to direct: you need to 'externalise' your ideas to be able to communicate those ideas and to break it down in checklists so you will not forget anything.
But if someone else will drect, you probably also need to surrender your ideas a bit.

Back