• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shotgun mic vs lavalier for documentary

As per title, which one would you recommend for a documentary? I know that for interviews a lavalier is better, but what if i want to carry the camcorder around and record audio? Are shotgun mics good for interview as well? I am on a microbudget for my documentary and i would rather buy just one of the two, and i thought that shotgun mic were more versatile, am I right?

I have in mind some option for a shotgun mic but I am not sure about lavaliers, on amazon I found these with good revies:

-Movo LV4 Dual XLR Lavalier Interview Kit with Omnidirectional & Cardioid Microphones

-Movo LV4-O XLR Phantom Power Lavalier Omnidirectional Microphone

-Movo LV4-C XLR Phantom Power Lavalier Cardioid Microphone

Which one would you recommend? Any other model?

XLR is a requirement and budget well max 100 dollars (I have a microbudget but I want a good audio!). Thanks!

@AudioPostExpert: thanks for the clarification on prices, second link redirects to countrymen b6 though not cos-11.

@harmonica: Yes one person per time, just audio, then it will be added on the video in post-production. This documentary is going to be involving indoors interviews only, but if it works the next one might include outdoor ones as well.

As you said I need to choose the best investment for me, i might end up using a lav this time and buying a shotgun mic next (since hopefully i will have a higher budget).

Very interesting video on shotgun mic vs hypercardio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Dxllviue8

(the guy mentions that many argue that shotgun mics are not good for indoors because of echoes)

I really like the sound of your video,well done! What mic did you use??

Back